Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

On his third birthday.

Our darling Otto is three.  I could go on about how fast the time has gone, the days are long but the years are short, but we already know that.


As I watched him sleeping the eve of his birthday, I marveled at each long finger, slender muscular legs, long eyelashes and deep peaceful breaths.  It is so easy to get caught up in the busyness of life as they grow from babies into little boys, and forget to stop and admire the miracle walking in front of me, asking endless questions, imagining incredible stories and breathing "I love you" into my ear.

Every day can be such a roller coaster with little people and I often find myself laughing through my frustration at the incredible things he says to me and others, motherhood is such a privilege even if I don't make it through with my mind intact.

So Otto, at three:
  • Loves, and I mean LOVE Fireman Sam and Thomas Trains.
  • Asks me why?  Almost constantly, no one can have a conversation in Otto's presence without him interrupting them and asking them to clarify.
  • Love his little brother Hugo, if people are starting to say goodbye to me while they are holding Hugo yell's at the top of his lungs for them to "NOT TAKE MY HUGO!".
  • Gymnastics and swimming are our weekly activities, with gymnastics being the favourite.
 I love that I get to spend my days with Otto, in January he will start Kindegarten and while I know it is the right thing I will still mourn these days.

For the actual birthday we kept things pretty low key, a day at home with a trip to Southbank that afternoon for some scooter fun, dinner and to watch the light show.


The best part for Otto though had to have been the presents!  Fireman Sam and Thomas featured but the most loved happened to also be the biggest, causing Han endless grief the night before putting it together with limited light.  The look on Otto's face the next morning made it mostly worthwhile.  What 3 yr old boy wouldn't like a trampoline to magically appear one morning!





It has been amazing so far to be Otto's mother, I can only wonder at what the next year will bring, how he will grow, learn and change as our little boy.  What a journey this all is.


No comments:

Post a Comment